Timeline PDF Print E-mail
Written by Tyler   
Thursday, 12 April 2012 18:35
  • 1873 Hopewell Depot built on the Dutchess & Columbia Railroad
  • 1874 D&C fails
  • 1877 Reorganized as Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut
  • 1881 New York & New England RR reaches Hopewell
  • 1892 Dutchess County RR connects Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge to Hopewell; Interlocking Tower S-196 built, protecting the junction
  • 1901 Borden’s Creamery begins operations
  • 1904 ND&CRR and the Depot bought by New Haven Railroad and operates under the Central New England Railway division
  • 1905-1910 Depot building moved 300 feet from Bridge St. (Rt. 376) to rail crossing, then 20 feet to present location, to make room for a 2nd east-west track
  • 1927 New Haven Railroad absorbs CNE and takes over the Depot
  • 1933 Passenger service ends
  • 1938 Old ND&C tracks to the north abandoned; interlocking tower razed 
  • 1950 Steam pusher service ends; coal/water facilities razed; Borden’s closes
  • 1969 New Haven Railroad; Hopewell lines become part of Penn Central, then Conrail systems; later transferred to MetroNorth
  • 1974 Poughkeepsie Bridge burns; cross-Hudson traffic to Maybrook stops
  • 1984 Maybrook Line tracks torn out; Depot abandoned
  • 1986 Hopewell Depot burns in arson fire
  • 1996 Depot Restoration group forms
  • 2012 Depot Restoration visitor center opens to the public; full museum in 2013
  • 2016 Replica of 1892 Interlocking Tower S-196 opens


Last Updated on Sunday, 05 June 2016 15:13
 
Hopewell Depot on FacebookHopewell Depot on TwitterYoutube Icon
© 2016 Hopewell Depot Restoration Corp. All Rights Reserved.
Mailing Address l P.O. Box 1044 Hopewell Junction, NY 12533
Physical Address | 36 Railroad Avenue Hopewell Junction, NY 12533
info@hopewelldepot.org
Hopewell Depot Restoration Corp is a NYS registered 501(c)(3)